Remember that season when the entire world was pretty much stuck at home (aka covid pandemic)? Well, there was also a mad dash to the grocery stores and odd things, such as toilet paper and tortillas, were in short supply.
Since I couldn’t conveniently purchase flour tortillas, I decided to make my own! And honestly, they aren’t difficult at all!
Three ingredients (flour, water, salt) and ten minutes is all it takes to create your own homemade flour tortillas.
First, stir together the flour, water, and salt. Once it sticks together, knead it for about five minutes. You know it’s done when you gently poke the dough ball with one finger and it springs back out on it’s own.
Take a knife and divide your dough into six equal pieces. Roll each of those balls into a tortilla, approximately 6-8 inches in diameter.
Then cook it in your skillet. This is the amazing part—it only takes about 30 seconds on each side! It will start to bubble and slightly brown to perfection.
Eat it as you would a normal tortilla:
- Think tacos, enchiladas, or gyros.
- Or smother it in olive oil and powdered garlic for a tasty snack.
- It’s also perfect to dip in hummus.
- But a lot of kids just like to eat plain tortillas. Feel good about feeding your kiddos a wholesome and homemade snack!
- 1 cup flour
- ½ cup water
- Pinch of salt
- Optional: 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Preheat a skillet to medium-high heat.
- Make a well in the center of the flour. Pour in the water and pinch of salt. Using a fork, gradually incorporate the flour and water together.
- Once a ball forms, use your hands to knead the dough for approximately 5 minutes or until smooth. (Tell if it’s kneaded enough by gently pushing on the dough with one finger—it’s done if it springs back on it’s own.)
- Cut dough into 6 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a circle approximately 6-8 inches in diameter.
- Place a tortilla in the warm skillet. Turn over after 30 seconds (it should just begin to brown). Let it cook until it starts to bubble, another 30 seconds.
- Serve immediately.
Use as desired for tacos, enchiladas, or gyros. Also tastes yummy topped with olive oil and garlic powder!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 96Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 23mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 1gSugar: 0gProtein: 2g