Save money on back to school items with this clever DIY decorative notebook repurposing project! Notebooks are needed during the school year for all sorts of reasons. Your child may need one to journal, to take notes in, to sketch ideas in, and so much more. Did you know that fancy, decorative notebooks and journals can cost as much as five dollars or more new? Why spend big bucks on a decorative notebook when you can instead make your own DIY notebook and maybe even upcycle some of the craft supplies in your house already? You don’t need to be super creative or artsy to create a notebook worthy of back to school season. Take a look and how you can whip one up this weekend and have it ready in time for back to school!
Simple Back To School Project: How To Make A DIY Decorative Notebook
*This post contains affiliate links.
A plain colored notebook can be bought on sale for as low as a quarter, or perhaps you already have a few blank ones around the house. If so, grab a few and see how easy it is to make your own DIY decorative notebooks. You and your child can easily create a notebook that is fun, fresh, and will look like you spent big bucks on it. You don’t need a great deal of supplies, just a few items you can probably find around your home. Don’t forget to include your name on your notebook!
- Spiral notebook
- Glue stick
- Scrapbook paper
Optional Decorative Items
If you lack any of these supplies, head to your local dollar store where you can find everything here for less. You can also find these items at your local arts and crafts stores or even big box retail stores.
- Cut a piece of paper to fit your cover.
- Using your stencils or simply by free handing, trace designs onto your scrapbooking paper. You can cut out shapes, initials, the school mascot, whatever you choose. Use a variety of colors.
- Add some glue to the back and press firmly into place. You can also do the back cover if you wish.
- Once the cover fabric has dried, you can now start gluing on your designs and letters. Layer them to add interest and cool design. Allow to dry.
- Use your markers and glitter glue to add extra details, lettering, etc. Be creative and don’t be afraid to go overboard!
- Allow your notebook to dry for a few hours before using or placing in a backpack.
- You can even make a name plate out of your scrapbook paper for the inside of the notebook if you wish. It makes it feel more special and personal that way.
These notebooks are so easy to make you can easily whip one up for each subject. Find old notebooks around the home and give them a new and colorful life when you give this simple DIY a try. You can create a whole set of notebooks for just pennies, and they will be original and unique to your child.
This same concept can also be tried on smaller notepads and notebooks, journals, and any spiral bound book. Take a look around and see what you have to work with and get started! A custom designed repurposed notebook is much easier than you think and a back to school project your child will love.
Looking for more great ways to save money on back to school items? Check out our tips on where to find stylish second-hand school clothes!
What would you put on your back to school notebook? Tell me how you get crafty in the comments!
Copyright: Vector Image by StockUnlimited