This post brought to you by Insurance Hunter. All opinions are 100% mine.
Spring is the time to open the windows, let in the fresh air, and clean out all the junk that accumulated over the long, cold winter. While most of us focus on the inside of our homes, we often forget about our car! You car deserves just as much love in the spring as, say, your bathroom, right? After all, your car is the one thing that gets you to all the places you need to go for all those spring cleaning supplies!
Besides, your poor car has had it even more rough than your house this past winter! Between the snow tires, the heavy mats to catch all that mud, and the salt on the road wreaking havoc with everything from your paint job to your engine, your car needs help! Make sure to add vehicle spring cleaning to your to-do list!
I recently spent two hours spring cleaning my car! Two hours! It’s the first real good cleaning that it has had in a while. I don’t even want to tell you what I found in there! I can say, I did identify the source of the mysterious odor finally!
Tips for Spring Cleaning Your Car
Insurance Hunter shared some great tips on spring cleaning your car. These include:
- Basic spring maintenance. Make sure you give your car a good check over, or have a trusted car mechanic do it for you. This is also a great time to change your oil if you haven’t been keeping up with regular changes!
- Swapping out winter mats for lighter spring mats. If you’ve been using heavy-duty mats to keep the snow and mud from getting all over your car, now is a good time to switch them out for the light-weight spring mats.
- Out with the winter survival gear, in with the summer! You did have a winter survival kit in your car, right? Well, it’s time to swap out that warm blanket, cat litter (for when you got stuck in the snow), ice scraper and heavy gloves for items that you’ll need during the summer. Consider adding sunscreen, a spare pair of sunglasses, a beach towel, and a change of clothes.
- Stop using your trunk as a storage bin! If you’re anything like me, chances are you have at least one pair of flip-flopsin your trunk from when your now 7-year-old child was an infant. Get rid of those! Clean out all the stuff that you threw in there when you were carting around extra people or doing a quick cleaning job.
- Freshen up the interior. When you’re done with all those tasks, vacuum your car and wipe down the surfaces. Don’t forget your inside windows!
Did you spring clean your car this year yet? Do you do anything special to get it ready for the warmer months?
You can find more great tips for car care, as well as auto insurance quotes to help you find the best deal, on the Insurance Hunter website! Be sure to check out their blog!
14 thoughts on “Spring Cleaning? Don’t Forget Your Car!”
Definitely, what a splendid site and revealing posts, I definitely will bookmark your blog.Best Regards!
Yes, I am also reminded that letting the car sit in the rain is not the same as getting it cleaned!
I love the feel of driving a clean car.. you’ve inspired me to take it out for a bath :)
My car is in some desperate need, I still haven’t cleaned it after our long distance move. It’s in such disarray.
Great tips! Mine sure needs a good cleaning out!
My son has car clean up for his chore this week….poor him, I’m adding more to his list, LOL!
These are fantastic tips! For us Spring cleaning our vehicles also mean getting a deep vacuuming. As we haven’t touched it all winter long because it was too cold to stand out there vacuuming.
I’d also add, bottled water into your summer survivial kit in the van. You never know hwen you will need extra water. Maybe for yourself and kids, or maybe for your radiator if you spring a leak and need just enough cooling liquid to get you to the mechanic. We always keep bottles of water in our cars in the summer.
Our cars always look so bad by the end of winter. They really do need a huge spring cleaning.
No I haven’t cleased it yet, but will within a week as it’s so dirty. Put a water bottle in trunk for those hot days:)
No car for us yet so no spring cleaning ;-)
EEK! Great reminder! I probably have size1 diapers in there! eek! ha ha
we cleaned the car two weeks ago but then took a road trip to Florida! lol needless to say it needs to be done all over again!
Storage bin? How about trash bin? There are unidentifiable things in my trunk right now. That being said, I’m making the kids clean it up this year. After all, they made the mess :)
I just test drove a new vehicle for a week and was amazing how good it felt to drive a CLEAN car every day! It has inspired me along with this post to clean my dirty old minivan!