I have never been camping! Maybe because I am afraid of bugs or maybe because I don’t know what to bring as camping equipment! This year, I decided to take the leap and organize a fun camping weekend with my family! I was clueless, I did not know where to start and what to bring! I have already a tent and sleeping bags but don’t know what other camping equipment is required. So I reached for help from my passionate readers! And they were really helpful telling me which equipment I needed for my adventure
Items You Need for Camping
Savannah suggested bringing tarps. They protect from rain and shades. Try to put a large tarp under the tent..easier to hose down a tarp later than try to wash the bottom of the tent, and it’s no fun rolling up a tent when the bottom is all dirty (source: Savannah)
- Insect repellant
- Sun block
- Extra long sleeve shirts: I would have never thought of that. We are in the middle of summer.
- Extra blanket
- Activity book. In my experience about a day and a half into the trip, kids get tired of so much going on and need something to reel them back in. (thanks to Kat)
- 1st aid kit! It never fails my kids always get scratched up at camp and need band aids! (thanks to Amber)
- Air mattresses and camp chairs to sit in to roast marshmallows. (Thanks Laura). My kids love marshmallows. We have to stock up on these.
- A Coleman grill and fishing poles (thanks to Shannon). This would be fun. The boys will fish and girls will cook or vice versa!
- Some suggested a camper or an RV. That’s a good idea but not within my means this year. I have to experience camping first and see how it goes.
- Extra SHOES (thanks to Michelle)
- A nice battery-powered fan or two (no breeze can be rough, plus bugs/birds can be loud. Thanks to Amy,
- Cooking utensils (don’t forget tongs & a spatula). Thanks to Michelle.
- Rope lights (attract less bugs),
- Portable radio. I also suggest setting up your tent now & waterproofing the outside bottom half & all seams using a spray you can pick up at WalMart. Get a couple of cans, and follow the directions to make even strokes. Let it sun-dry completely. We had a terrible thunderstorm last time & didn’t have a drop inside.
- Outdoor games like croquet or frisbee