Massachusetts is one of my favorite places to visit. I’ve been there at least half a dozen times over the years. No matter how many times I go, I always find something new to experience! Of all the times I’ve been there, though, I’ve never had the chance to visit the islands of Nantucket, Martha’s Vineyard or Cape Cod. Massachusetts has dozens of small islands off its coast, but these are the big three that see the most action.
Nantucket is my favorite. Even though I’ve never been there, I fell in love with the stories and pictures. I have a dream of one day settling down on this gorgeous island! I just love the idea of a tight-knit community in a small town with gorgeous views of the ocean from nearly every window! I imagine myself walking down their idyllic Main Street, shopping for bread at a local bakery and sipping coffee at a small cafe.
Things to Do in Nantucket, Massachusetts
If you’re planning a trip to the Massachusetts islands, you really need to include Nantucket! While the island itself has less than 50 square miles (124 square kilometers) of land, the residents still manage to pack in a ton of fun and enchanting activities for the whole family.
August events in Nantucket
- Annual Nantucket August Antiques Show– If you’re heading to Nantucket this week, you can catch the annual antiques show! It runs from August 2nd to the 5th. The proceeds go towards the historical society. Throughout the week, you can check out different shows and listen to lectures about these gorgeous pieces. It’s a great way to give kids an up-close look at a piece of history! If you miss it this year, don’t worry: they hold one every year around the same time.
- Nantucket Preservation Trust August Fete – Take a walking tour of some of the most beautiful historical houses in Nantucket, then finish up the day with a fun outdoor fete catered by one of the best caterers on the island. If you have a little extra cash in your budget, check out the silent auction for some truly unique items. This event happens on August 8th this year.
- The Nantucket Boys & Girls Club’s Tim Russert Summer Groove –Help support a great cause and get your groove on at this annual summer event! This year, it will be held on August 17th and feature music by the Sultans of Swing
You don’t have to visit Nantucket at a particular time of year to enjoy all the charm the island has to offer. Check out a few things you can do any time!
- Go ice-skating year round at Nantucket Ice!
- Take a tour of the island’s three beautiful lighthouses.
- Visit the Loines Observatory at night for a stunning view of the stars.
- Tour the Maria Mitchell Natural Science Museum, where kids can learn about the wildlife and plants that are indigenous to Nantucket. This activity is free!
- Go to the beach! You can’t visit Nantucket without taking in the beautiful beaches for at least one afternoon. The North Shore beaches are the gentlest, making them ideal for children.
- Rent bikes for the whole family and take a leisurely tour of the island on two wheels. Check with the bike rental shop for maps and suggestions.
- For those who enjoy a bit of the supernatural, take a stroll with a woman her her pet raven on Raven’s Walk and hear about all the ghost stories the island has to offer.
With so many things to do on Nantucket, you too will fall in love with the quaint charm of this gorgeous island.
Check out MassVacation.com to learn more about Nantucket and all the other wonderful things Massachusetts has to offer!
Disclosure: this is a paid promotion brought to you in partnership with SheBlogs Media and Massachusetts Tourism. Photo Credits: Massvacation.com