The Calgary Zoo is the perfect destination close to home for those who want a family fun day exploring the animal kingdom! It’s truly a moment where you realize that you can walk around the world in one day. Zoo trips are a favorite among my family. There’s nothing quite like coming face-to-face with a playful monkey or watching the antics of an otter in the water!
Go around the world in a day at the Calgary Zoo
Did you know that the Calgary Zoo is Western Canada’s largest accredited zoo, with more than 1,000 animals? Take a look at some of the coolest features of this amazing zoo.
- Canadian Wilds: Start your journey around the world by getting a close-up look at some of the animals we have right here in Canada. From ginormous grizzly bears to the graceful Sandhill Crane, this is a great opportunity to teach your kids about wildlife in their own back yard.
- Destination Africa: Travel from your own region to the rainforests and savannahs across the ocean for a look at some of the coolest beasts in the world. Who doesn’t love the gentle giraffe with its lithe neck, or the mighty roar of a lion on the hunt?
- Prehistoric Park: Next, take a trip back in time to the land of dinosaurs! While the mighty reptiles are long gone, Alberta happens to be a rich land for fossils. Get a glance at what the area may have looked like millions of years ago.
- Penguin Plunge: This may just be my favorite destination! The Calgary Zoo spared no expense to recreate the Antarctica environment everyone’s favorite flightless bird is used to. Check the grand King Penguins, laugh at the Rockhoppers’ antics or “aww” at the sight of Gentoo Penguins giving gifts to their mates!
- Fun rides and playgrounds. Getting tired of walking? Hop aboard the Zoo Train! Kids need to burn off some energy after lunch? Let them climb and play in the Kinsmen Zooventure Playground! They can even take a spin on a majestic carousel.
The Calgary Zoo is passionate about wildlife conservation, so it’s a place that you can really feel good about visiting. They not only help keep local species from going extinct, but extend their support across the ocean to help African wildlife. After your fun day at the zoo, visit all the other exciting family destinations in Calgary!
Check out Visit Calgary for more information. Follow them on Twitter and Facebook.
This post is brought to you by Visit Calgary. All opinions are my own.