This post on how to stretch a pricey data plan is brought to you by Opera Max. All opinions are our own.
I have a confession: I am brand new to smart phones. I had pretty much every other technological gadget on the planet right away, but the smart phone revolution took a while to get to me. Want to know why? Data plans. That was the ONLY thing holding me back from upgrading.
To me, data plans are out of control crazy! I mean, I pay less for unlimited high-speed internet access at home than I do for 10 gigs of data shared between four phones! That’s right, four phones. That’s 2.5 gigs a month per person. Not much, right? At least I don’t think so, considering that in my line of work, I need to be connected almost around the clock. That’s why I’m so excited to share Opera Max with you!
Opera Max stretches that pricey plan to the Max
Opera Max is a free Android app that squeezes your incoming images, photos and videos so they don’t take up as much of your data. Those three things typically eat up the most data. With Opera Max, it’s possible to stretch your plan by as much as 50%! That means if you have a 1 gig plan, you can actually download as much as 1.5 GB of data.
As if that isn’t exciting enough, Opera Max does so much more too! Take a look at some of the other amazing features:
- Auto-Detect Expensive Data: While I’m pretty tech-savvy, I couldn’t exactly call myself data-savvy. I’m so used to using a computer to download until my heart is content. I have no idea how much data is consumed by watching a Vine video or going on Skype to see my super cute niece. Opera Max, on the other hand, does know. It gives me the option of blocking those apps when I’m out and about.
- Track data usage across apps: Want to know which of your apps are eating up the most data? I know I do! Opera Max will track your apps’ data usage, then give you a summary. You can then use that information to decide which apps you want to block when you’re out of Wi-Fi range.
- Maintains your privacy: If you’re worried that someone at Opera Max is secretly checking out your bank account info as your data is squeezed through their system, don’t. Opera Max can’t touch (or optimize) data that goes through encrypted connections. They also don’t store your photos or videos anywhere, so that embarrassing video of you doing the Chicken Dance at your brother’s wedding isn’t going to be office party fodder, don’t worry!
- Doesn’t eat up your battery! This is something I was concerned about, as I know there are a lot of apps that can drain your battery. Opera Max is not one of them. In fact, by squeezing the data, it may actually save a tad on you battery life.
- You set the level of compression: You can tell Opera Max how much you’d like to squeeze your incoming videos and photos. Keep in mind that squeezing does cause quality loss. It’s a trade-off. If you set it to a high level, you’re going to see a slight difference in video quality. On lower settings, though, the difference really isn’t noticeable.
Overall, Opera Max is a fantastic way to squeeze more life out of your data plan. It was created by the same people who brought us the Opera browser, so it’s a company I already trust. Since it’s free (you just have to “recharge” it every seven days but watching a very quick ad), it’s definitely worth giving a try! If you spend a lot of time on Instagram or Vine, you pretty much NEED this app!