We have a routine in our home: as soon as my daughter comes back from school, she listens to music on the radio! She starts singing and dancing! Believe me, it’s quite a show to watch! (and not because she is my daughter). As she listens to music on regular basis, she developed some tastes and became fond of Lady Gaga Songs!
Now I never allowed her to watch her on TV because I find she is too young ! But one day she heard an announcement on TV: Lady Gaga is hosting a concert in our city in the summer! She asked me if she could go! As a mom, my first reaction was no: she is too young but my husband (who is less – how can I say it- strict, did not see any problem in that) So I thought I would ask the readers and seek their advice!
Readers Advice: Should You Let Your 6-Year-Old Attend a Lady Gaga Concert?
I received some really great advice from our readers! Check it out what they had to say. Want to read the entire thread? View it on Facebook!
- Concerts are too loud: Elizabeth B. brought up a really good point that I didn’t even consider: concerts are too loud for little ears! Elizabeth pointed out that, aside from the performer’s acts on stage, the sound level is loud enough to damage a child’s ears. She went on to explain that while she allows her teens to attend concerts, she makes them wear ear plugs.
- Not a good role model for young girls: Several readers said they wouldn’t take their child to a Lady Gaga concert because she’s just not a good role-model for young girls. Sandy G. pointed out that my daughter may not “get” the more inappropriate parts, which I think would lead to some potentially uncomfortable questions from my daughter.
- Take me instead! One reader, Candace, asked me to take her instead! I’ll think about that, Candace! It does make a good point, though. Maybe this is a concert better left to a grown-up girls night out?
- Watch before taking her. I think Frankie had some great advice- watch her performance on the VMA before taking her. That way, I know what to expect. Now, keep in mind that artists do have to tone it down a bit for television because of ratings, so whatever they do on the show, I would double that in the outrageous-factor, just to err on the side of caution.
- Go for it! One of our readers did take her 8-year-old daughter to a Lady Gaga concert and everything went fine. I think it really depends on your parenting style and what you’re comfortable with. Just like some parents would allow their teens to get her nosed pierced while others wouldn’t, it really comes down to your feelings as well as your child’s maturity level.
So what do you think? Would you let your 6-year-old attend a Lady Gaga concert? How about a different type of concert? Is six too young for any loud live performances? We’d love to hear from you!