As a nanny, sometimes it is difficult to get the kids moving while still keeping them safe. A trip to the park is always a lot of fun, but sometimes it is not so practical. So, what are some things you can do with kids that will get them moving, enjoying the outdoors, and having fun without technology? Well, here are three entertaining ideas:
Marshmallow popper fights – Marshmallow poppers are easy to make and kids love to play with them.
- All you need is plastic cups, balloons, and marshmallows!
- Cut off the bottom third of the plastic cup.
- Tie a knot in the balloon and then cut about a half an inch off the top.
- Wrap the balloon around the bottom of the cup. Voila!
An instant marshmallow shooter that goes amazingly far. Kids will love to see who can get their marshmallow to fly furthest and can even do target practice into chalk circles or other defined areas. Having a popper war means a lot of running around and flying marshmallows, but no hurt kids. Fun for all ages!
Bubble snake competition – Making bubble snakes is easy and kids love to see who can get the longest snake.
- All you need to make a bubble snake blower is an empty plastic water bottle, a piece of terry cloth, a thick rubber band, and some bubbles.
- Cut the bottom third of the bottle off and place the terry cloth over it.
- Secure with the rubber band.
- Dip the cloth into the bubble mixture and have the kids blow gently into the mouth of the bottle.
- A bubble snake will start to grow. See who can make the longest, the fattest, or the scariest snake!
Scavenger hunt – This is a great game for color and shape recognition with little kids, or can be made more complex for bigger ones.
For little ones, have them find an object that is a certain color and shape, like ‘bring me something round and red’. For older kids, make up riddles they have to solve. Like ‘bring me something that has arms but no fingers’ (a chair or clock).Best of all, you get to sit down while they are burning up energy!
These three ideas are just the tip of the iceberg. Kids love being outside and having fun, and so should you. Get away from the chaos of technology and drudgery of chores and escape to the great outdoors for some healthy fun time.
Kelsey is the editor in chief for findananny. She loves to write article and ideas that parents & nannies would be interested in hearing. She helps society on giving information about nannies through find a nanny. She is a professional writer & loves writing on any thing.