Looking for the most popular baby names of 2017? While the official tallies won’t come out until well after the new year, here’s a glimpse at 12 names that are trending so far this year!
Throughout the years, the top names have changed with the times. For instance, in 1950, the top 5 male names were James, Robert, John, Michael and David and the top 5 female names were Linda, Mary, Patricia, Barbara and Susan. But in 1990, the top 5 male names were Michael, Christopher, Matthew, Joshua and Daniel and the top 5 female names were Jessica, Ashley, Brittany, Amanda and Samantha. Now that we’re more than midway through 2017, let’s check out the names that are topping the charts so far this year!
Most Popular Baby Names of 2017
MALE BABY NAMES
- Aiden- Aiden is derived from Irish origin and means- little, fiery. Growing Pains actress, Tracey Gold, and her husband Roby Marshall have 4 sons together, one of them named Aiden Michael Marshall, born on May 9, 2004.
- Asher- Asher is derived from Hebrew origin and means- blessed, fortunate, happy one. Prison Break actor, Marshall Allman, and his wife Jamie Allman have twins together, one of the twins named Asher James Allman, born on January 31, 2013.
- Elijah- Elijah is derived from Hebrew origin and means- Yahweh is God. Composer, pianist and singer, Elton John, and his husband, filmmaker David Furnish have 2 sons together via surrogate, one of them named Elijah Joseph Daniel Furnish-John, born on January 11, 2013.
- Ethan- Ethan is derived from Hebrew origin and means- strong, firm. Covert Affairs actor, Christopher Gorham, and his wife, actress Anel Lopez Gorham have 2 sons and 1 daughter together, one of their sons named Ethan Gorham, born in 2003.
- Liam- Liam is derived from Irish origin and means- resolute protection. Beverly Hills 90210 actress, Tori Spelling and her husband, actor Dean McDermott have 3 sons and 2 daughters together, one of their sons named Liam Aaron McDermott, born on March 13, 2007.
- Wyatt- Wyatt is derived from English origin and means- brave in war. Singer, Sheryl Crow has 2 adopted sons, one of them named Wyatt Steven Crow, born on April 29, 2007 and adopted by Crow at the age of 2 weeks old.
FEMALE BABY NAMES
- Amelia- Amelia is derived from Latin origin and means- industrious, striving. L.A. Law actor, Harry Hamlin, and his wife, actress Lisa Rinna have 2 daughters together, one of them named Amelia Gray Hamlin, born on June 13, 2001.
- Charlotte- Charlotte is derived from French origin and means- tiny, feminine. The Practice actor, Dylan McDermott, and his ex-wife, actress Shiva Rose have 2 daughters together, one of them named Charlotte Rose McDermott, born on September 8, 2005.
- Emma- Emma is derived from German origin and means- universal. NASCAR driver, Greg Biffle, and his ex-wife, Nicole Biffle have 1 daughter together, named Emma Elizabeth Biffle, born on July 6, 2011.
- Isabella- Isabella is derived from Italian origin and means- pledged to God. Frozen actor, Josh Gad, and his wife, actress Ida Darvish have 2 daughters together, one of them named Isabella Eve Gad, born on February 17, 2014.
- Mia- Mia is derived from Italian origin and means- mine. Titanic actress, Kate Winslet, and her husband, film director Jim Threapleton have 1 daughter together, named Mia Honey Threapleton.
- Sophia- Sophia is derived from Greek origin and means- wisdom. Realty TV actress, Farrah Abraham, and her late boyfriend, Derek Underwood have 1 daughter, named Sophia Laurent Abraham.
If you take a look at the most popular baby names of 2017 so far, you’ll notice that classic names are making a huge comeback. I see a lot of my favorite names on the list, like Sophia and Aiden!