Good family movies with a message can be a powerful teaching tool for when you really want to get something across to your kids. Children are far more likely to absorb and retain a lesson when it comes packaged in a fun way. Think about it: how many lectures from your parents can you remember? Me? None, to be honest. Yet I remember how Bastian of the Neverending Story taught me that imagination is a powerful tool, or how Fern Gully taught me how important it is to respect the environment. These movies don’t just engage kids with fun story lines and awesome characters, they deliver a powerful life lesson as well. Check out some good family movies with a message.
3 Favorite Good Family Movies with a Message
The Neverending Story
The Neverending Story is a 1984 epic fantasy film starring Noah Hathaway, Barret Oliver, Tami Stronach, Patricia Hayes, Sydney Bromley, Gerald McRaney and Moses Gunn. The movie is based in the 1979 book of the same name by Michael Ende. Bastian is a young boy who is constantly harassed by bullies at school. During one of these bullying sessions, Bastian escapes into a local book store, where the owner provides him with the tales of an ancient storybook. Bastian borrows the book, reading it constantly, becoming drawn into the land of Fantasia, a mystical world that needs a hero to save it from disaster. The movie provides viewers with the message of never giving up and facing your true self. It also teaches kids the importance of imagination.
The Princess and the Frog
The Princess and the Frog is a 2009 animated musical romantic fantasy comedy film starring the voices of Anika Noni Rose, Bruno Campos, Keith David, Michael-Leon Wooley, Jennifer Cody, Jim Cummings, Peter Bartlett, Jenifer Lewis, Oprah Winfrey, Terrence Howard and John Goodman. The movie is loosely based on the 2002 book titled The Frog Princess by E.D. Baker. The message in this movie is that no matter where you start in your life, you can achieve anything if you work hard. This movie is about a waitress named Tiana, who wants to open a restaurant, inspired by her father. However, her plans are halted when she turns into a frog after kissing Prince Naveen.
Happy Feet is a 2006 computer animated musical family starring the voice cast of Elijah Wood, Robin Williams, Brittany Murphy, Hugh Jackman, Nicole Kidman and Hugo Weaving. The message in this movie is that it is okay to stand out from everyone else since each person has something unique to offer. The plot of this movie is about a group of penguins who need to attract their soulmate with a beautiful voice. However, Mumble is a penguin that can’t sing but sure can dance. When he is banished by the rest of the penguins, Mumble finds a group of feathered pals that would love to learn his dance moves.
More good family movies with a message
- The Toy Story movies: teach kids the importance of friendship and teamwork, and of not judging someone before you really get to know them.
- Charlotte’s Web: kids learn the value of friendship and sticking up for your friend, and that perseverance and creative thinking really pays off.
- Shrek: Appreciating yourself for who you are, that beauty is more on the inside than on the outside.
- Wall-E: the obvious message here is the conservation message, but it’s also a powerful story about love.
- Up: not only can we accomplish anything at any age, but we can also learn a lot from our elders.
- Charlie and the Chocolate Factory: So many messages, as every child who earns a golden ticket, aside from Charlie, becomes a cautionary tale! Don’t eat too many sweets, don’t be nasty to others, respect other people’s property, hope is a powerful thing, and more.
Movies can do so much more than entertain! They can teach kids about bullying, encourage teamwork, and even educational lessons about nature. Look for movies that open up opportunities for discussion after the credits roll and you’ll turn family movie night into a fun learning experience for everyone.