Looking for a fun Earth Day recipe that the whole family will love? These Earth Day Cake Pops are super cute and pretty easy to make! They’re perfect for handing out to the kids after a day of cleaning up and helping Mother Earth! They’re a bit more indulgent than our usual recipes, but after all those Earth Day activities, you’ll have earned them!
Earth Day Cake Pops Recipe
Affiliate links included below.
- 2 cups Apple Cider
- 4 sticks Butter
- 1 1/2 cups Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 2 cups Flour
- 2 cups Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Baking Soda
- 1 ½ teaspoons Salt
- 4 large Eggs
- 14¾ cup Sour Cream
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 bag of cake pop sticks (you can get them from Michaels or Walmart)
1. Heat your oven to 350 degrees
2. Grease a deep edged cookie sheet or a 9×13 baking dish with either a Pam spray or butter in a deep cookie sheet
3. Using a medium saucepan using medium heat, bring the Guinness and butter to a light boil then add the cocoa powder using a whisk until smooth it is smooth. Remove from heat and place to the side
4. Then a large bowl, you will need to whisk flour, sugar, baking soda and salt
5. Now get even another LARGE bowl, I used an electric mixer to beat together the eggs, sour cream, and vanilla together
6. Now add the butter-Guinness to the sour cream and using a hand mixer mix until fully combined about 1-2 minutes on med. speed . You will now begin to add the flour mix and beat until just combined. Use a rubber spatula, lightly fold the batter to make sure there are no pockets of flour
7. Pour into baking dish or cookie pan
8. Bake for 30 minutes, always do a bake check by sticking a toothpick in the cake if it comes out clear free of wet batter the cake is done
- 1/2 C Butter
- 2/3 C Cocoa
- 3 C powdered sugar
- 1/3 C milk
- 1 t vanilla extract
Directions for frosting:
Melt butter in mixing bowl. Stir in cocoa and then alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistency.
Add small amount additional milk, if needed. Stir in vanilla. About 2 cups frosting.
Directions for cake pops:
Once the frosting is made, take a spoon full and add into the crumbled cake. Using a spoon to combine. Add more frosting until you can form a small round ball.
Melt Chocolate in a double broiler or you can use a microwave. Once chocolate is melted dip a cake pop stick into the chocolate and then push it into the rounded cake. Once that chocolate has hardened, dip it into the chocolate until fully coated.
It seems like a lot of steps, but really, it’s easier than it sounds! Once they’re done, you have super pretty Earth Day cake pops to serve everyone after a day of helping clean up our planet!
What do you think of this Earth Day cake pops recipe? Tell us in the comments!