Do you love spending time on Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest and Google+? Enjoy flexing your writing muscles and penning outstanding pieces on a wide range of subjects? Do you already know that you’re amazing but lack the references and professional work experience to prove it to others? We have an extraordinary opportunity for you! OurFamilyWorld is currently accepting applications for our brand-new social media and writing intern program.
We’ve been where you are. We know how hard it is to get your foot in the door, especially when the online world is filled with others who are also trying to get through that same door. We know what it’s like to try to fluff out a resume with skills and amazing personality traits in an effort to conceal that fact that the “work experience” section is completely blank.
After spending years and countless hours building our own reputations, we’re fortunate to be in a fantastic position to help others build their resumes. Take a look at our expectations as well as what we can offer you in exchange for your hard work. Sound like a great fit? Fill out our application below!
Basic internship requirements
Candidates should have:
- Basic knowledge of how to use social media platforms. This includes the ability to update Facebook and Google+ statuses, send Tweets and pin images on Pinterest.
- Good writing and proof-reading skills. We will help you develop these further, but we at least need to know that the basic skills are there.
- Passion for learning.
- The ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Good communication skills.
- A professional yet friendly attitude.
- Trustworthiness, as you will be trusted with established social media accounts.
- Reliable internet access.
How can our internship program benefit you?
Let’s be upfront here: internships by nature are unpaid programs, so it has to be beneficial to you in other ways to make it worth your while. At the end of your internship, we will give you a professional reference and recommendations on LinkedIn. There is also potential to become a paid part of our team. Throughout your internship, you will learn valuable skills in several different areas.
Social networking skills across all the major platforms.
Social media skills are incredibly valuable in today’s fast-paced internet world. It’s not enough to just be able to write stellar articles, you need to know how to get them in front of readers. Social media is often the largest source of traffic for many bloggers.
- Write short and sweet tweets that encourage readers to click through.
- Create stunning Pinterest boards and build a solid following.
- Create a Facebook publishing strategy and learn how to use Insights to evaluate its effectiveness.
- Understand how Google+ works and how to interact in communities.
- Use tools like Hootsuite and Buffer to save time by scheduling in advance.
Writing and proofreading skills.
- Write engaging and conversational content that provides valuable information in a way that is easy for readers to relate to.
- Understand the nuances that go along with internet writing, including how to create content that is easily understood by the masses without sacrificing quality.
- Find your own unique writing voice and learn how to let it shine through in every piece.
- Build a writing resume with sample articles to help you pick up more writing gigs.
- Master the WordPress platform, including learning how to use the dashboard to write articles, add links and insert images.
- Learn how to use Yoast and other SEO tools to increase viability in search engines.
- Gain experience in choosing the best images for your post and editing them in services like PicMonkey and other editors.
What we expect from you during your internship
- Perform tasks in a professional and timely manner. While your hours aren’t set, we do give you tasks for specific days. If you need a different schedule, talk to us.
- Alert us when you are unable to complete a task.
- Ask questions! If you don’t understand how to do something, tell us right away.
- Respond to our emails in a timely manner and keep us updated on your progress.
- Attend regular virtual meetings to discuss progress and plans. We will take your own schedule into account when determining the times and days of these meetings.
About your potential internship trainers
You’ll be working very closely with me, Nicole, the editor-in-chief of OurFamilyWorld and MyKidsGuide. I’ve written thousands of articles for several sites and clients, including OurFamilyWorld and my own successful blog, Pretty Opinionated. I still remember trying to break into the writing field. After spending over a decade writing for myself, I found it incredibly difficult to prove to potential clients that I had the skills needed to write for them. I want to help make it a little easier for you!
Olfa Turki is the owner of the OurFamilyWorld properties. She gave me a chance to prove myself first through writing, then social media management and now as an editor-in-chief overseeing a staff of writers and the day-to-day operations of a highly successful and prominent web magazine. She taught me just about everything I know about running a website! Now we both want to give others a chance to excel. Olfa has a unique ability to see the minor details that really pull everything together. I can almost guarantee you will learn something new and unexpected every week.
Between the two of us, you can expect to learn a lot in a professional yet fun environment!