Gear up moms, dads and kids, ‘cause it’s going to be a spooky Halloween this year. With Halloween just around the corner, all that one can think about is deciding on the costume and thinking of ways to make the house look spookier than anyone else’s. And don’t let the little ones miss out on the Halloween fun, spice up some activities for them too so they can be a part of this fun and spooky atmosphere.
Spooky Activities for Toddlers and Preschoolers
1. Sure, the pre-schoolers and toddlers are still very young to help you in baking some Halloween goodies, but they aren’t too small to have them decorate it. It’s Halloween, how wrong can they be? Besides the more gooier and the more messier it is, the better. Bake some little cupcakes, or better yet, make a brown rectangular cake and cut out smaller rectangles from it. Decorate it with light brown chocolate icing. Ask your little helpers to dust crumbled, uneven chocolate flakes on it, to resemble dirt and give them some Halloween cake decorations to stick on the top like Frankenstein hands or grave stones.
2. Printable coloring pages are present in abundance over the internet. Take a print of some large spooky figures or print out a string of little ghosts or witches. Give them to your kids to use their imagination with colors on them. When done, you can cut out these figures and hang them through a fishing line or a common dark thread, along the walls or from the ceiling.
3. Have a spooky dinner with them to get them going in the spirit of Halloween. Dim the lights around you and light up the jack-o-lanterns in your dining room. Tell them spooky stories to spark up some fun (but not spooky enough that they have trouble sleeping!)
4. Another fun activity which is related to Halloween and which your toddlers are going to love is dressing up their dolls and action figures in the costume of mummies. Give them spools of white gauze bandages and ask them to roll it around the figures. Do one in front of them and then let them have their own way.
5. There are a lot of fun and easy ways to make black hanging spiders with your kids. For the body, you can either take a black helium balloon, a ball of yarn or simply a black shopping bag filled with cotton or old newspapers. Black pipe cleaners prove to be the best things to make the spider legs from.