Today on our 3rd anniversary, I reviewed a great book.
Happily Married With Kids: It’s Not a Fairy Tale, by Carol Ummel Lindquist, Ph.D.
My Book Review
This is a wonderful book. Lively, engaging and amusing, I didn’t want to put it down! I had a friend also review the book (she, like myself, does not regularly read self-help books). Jo* enjoyed the book as well.Being that we have now been married for three wonderful and challenging years, with two spectacular children, we have experienced much of what is discussed in the book. Dashed hopes and expectations, ever changing roles and goals.
• Learning to communicate effectively, even perhaps affectionately.
• Balancing all aspects of your life: Work, Love, Parenting, Family.
• Creating warm, valuable and reliable support networks.
• Rejuvenating your *ahem* sex life.Dr. Lindquist has a lot of wonderful advice. While it is all informative and practical, actual application to everyday life is not so easy. As the saying goes: “It’s easier said than done”. No one said it was going to be easy! Trying to use less hostile language. For example, instead of saying “It makes me p****d off because you are so: lazy, stupid, etc.” “It frustrates me when you do ….. Because I feel like ….I am particularly attached to two responses when arguing, expecting my husband to “read my mind” and withdrawing from an argument. These are both heavily addressed issues in the book. Arguing can be an opportunity for communication and change.
Tips for both of these actions:
• Withdrawal: Instead of withdrawing try to warn your partner in advance that you need to have some time to reflect, and then actually try to reflect on it!
Happily Married With Kids: It’s Not a Fairy Tale is full of practical advice and humor. It’s engaging, clear and concise. If you need marital advice (or even if you think you don’t), pick up this book A.S.A.P! A wonderfully written book with tips on how to communicate, organize and appreciate all relationships your life.
If you would like to read this book or check out more by Dr. Carol Ummel Lindquist, please visit her site http://www.doctorcarol.com/. You can purchase it at Amazon too.
About the reviewer
My name is Stephanie. I am an avid reader, writer and a stay at home mom. I am married and have two children. They are four years and six months old. I am twenty-four years old. I am a twin. I am also an adult adoptee (I was adopted when I was sixteen years old, on St. Patrick’s Day). As I previously stated, I love to read (just about anything) and write (I hope to become a published author, particularly of my own memoirs). I am also a “mommy blogger” at modern mommy reviews
Disclosure: a free copy was given for the purpose of the review. No monetary compensation received. All opinions are ours. The review contains links to Amazon